Tuesday 20 November 2012

Experimental Bread

Yes, I grew up in a house that is attached to a bakery. One would think I learned my baking skills there, and I can bake bread like a pro. But the answer is no. I am a self taught baker. I never had a chance to bake bread until last week. You see, I'm kinda afraid of the yeast and flour thingy. I've always thought it's complicated. All the kneading, proofing and letting the bread rise. I have all these fears - what if I don't knead it properly? How do I make sure I proof it correctly? And some other irrational fears of a newbie bread maker. :D

Yes, my friends, I have conquered my fear! My fear of baking bread, that is. I have tried last week during our playdate (it was my turn to host). It wasn't perfect because I forgot to knead it before letting it rise. Hah! But our guests said they were good enough. For me though, I wanted a softer and lighter texture. Time to practice some more!



Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup milk 
  • 2 1/2 tsps instant active dry yeast 
  • 1/2 cup warm water 
  • 1/2 cup sugar 
  • 3 large eggs
  • 4 to 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • egg wash (1 egg + 1/4 cup milk)
  • ham slices
  • cheese slices

Procedure:

1. Melt butter with milk in microwave oven. Let it cool to room temperature.

2. In a mixing bowl, mix the yeast and warm water and let stand for 10 minutes until creamy, thick and bubbly.

3. Whisk the sugar and eggs to the yeast mixture. Add the butter and milk mixture, mix well. 

2. In a clean, flat surface, dump the flour. Add the salt. Make a well in the middle and pour all the liquid ingredients (from steps 1-3). 
 
3. Knead the dough well until it becomes elastic. Transfer it to a large and lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise and develop the flavors for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

4. After letting it rise, punch the dough and transfer to a clean surface lightly dusted with flour. Knead very lightly and cut the dough equally into 16 pieces. With a rolling pin, roll out each dough and put the ham and cheese filling at the center. Carefully tuck the filling inside the dough.

5. Lightly grease a baking sheet and place the rolls in it. Cover with slightly damp kitchen towel and let rise again for 1 - 1 1/2 hours. preheat the oven at 350F, 10 minutes before the rising time ends.

6. Brush the top with egg wash, and bake 25 minutes.

10 comments:

  1. nahihirapan din ako sa bread kaya takot pa ulit ako magtry. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tin , it gets easier and better with practice :D Try checking this book The Big Book of Bread , loads of easy recipes for a newbie baker like us :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congraaats! I have the same fear of baking breads because I'm scared it wouldn't rise. Haha!

    Abi
    http://thebelatedbloomer.blogspot.com
    twitter: @BelatedBloomer

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a while since the last time I baked something. Hayyy.. I wish I know how to make breads too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WoW.....Delicious.....

    The turn for the right items to be shopped at right price is finally here. Shopping was never so easy and feasible. Just a click; and the shopping world just come alive on the screen. The link at www.rightshopping.in brings the details.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The last time I attempted bread we could of painted them and used to line the driveway. I really think bread making is a gift. Either you got the bread baking gene or you don't. I don't :( But yours sure looks nice, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow! i'm also afraid of making bread. good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't tried baking bread from the scratch pod sis :D Nakatry na ko ug bake pero ang bread machine maoy naghimo sa dough etc.

    Kumusta na ka? Ako wala na nako naupdate akong blogs although bag-o lang ko nag post ug isa, nabusy kintahay sa work nga duha ka buok though once or twice a week lang ang isa pero thank God naka ingon ra gyud ko gaina nga moresign na ko (clinic). Karon makalugar na gyud ko ug blog ug blog hop pod.See ya around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!all I know is ang hirap tlga gumawa ng bread! galing ah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi sis! Congrats on conquering your fear of baking a bread! Clap! Clap! :-)

    ReplyDelete